A biocurateur has several roles in biological database formalization and management. These functions are at the interface between data production, data processing and data analysis. The biocurator plays a key role in formalizing and structuring of biological concepts in the design of the database (using a hierarchical organization of data classes using ontologies that detail the relationships between concepts). Building ontologies specific project or expansion of internationally accepted ontologies are the responsibility of the curator. These ontologies also form the basis of the formats of data exchange between databases.
This function involves frequent interaction with major international projects structuring, but also work in consultation with professionals who develop schemas and web applications database. It must also be able to implement management strategies given by the organization of the collection, storage and processing of data from different sources. Finally, it is responsible for the accuracy and integrity of biological data from experiments on a small or large scale, seized from the literature or imported from more specialized databases. As such, a trustee must develop a coherent strategy curation and manage a team of annotators biological support to dissect the literature to formalize the data using ontologies database and enter data.
Biocuration : emerging discipline fundamental to the development of information system performance. It includes several aspects:
Data Formalization of biological data
Data Management, organizing the collection, storage and processing of data in information systems, and quality control of these data
Science Communication, exploitation and dissemination of scientific information to mobilize the scientific community
Biological data management: organization of collection, storage and processing of data in information systems, and quality control of these data
- The physical representation of data. Curators are involved in the design of database schema in collaboration with professionals.
- The semantic representation of data. The Trustee shall establish standards to describe these data.
Conversion of biological concepts into computer objects by:
The data (descriptions of biological entities, eg, genes, targets and their measures, eg, intensity, location) to be shared, accompanied by a sufficient number of experimental data (annotation =) (ie from the study materials, technology and measurement types, etc.). Three types of standards allow a representation, description and reporting experimental data.
- Minimum information basic checklists
- Semantics: classifications, terminologies and relationships (=ontologies)
- Syntax: exchange formats
Globalization and competitiveness between scientific institutions requires more visibility. To widely disseminate scientific information, different strategies are used, strategies requiring good interpersonal skills and biology knowledge :
- Writting and production of communication media supports, visual or audiovisual: booklets, pamphlets, articles, posters, website, video clip.
- Optimization of the supports: internet SEO, website design accodring to the audience, support update.
- Implementation and facilitation of network to mobilize a scientific community around common tools.
- Development of external relations: press, associations, local authorities.
- Event organization.
- Accompanying laboratories in achieving their communication operations.
- Training and analysis of user feedback.